Gentle music makes a perfect accompaniment to reading. This selection has been chosen with the reader in mind. Many of the tracks began life with a literary theme or program, taken from old legends, from Shakespeare's tales or from famous books. These works are interspersed with other characterful pieces which reflect a quiet mood or a scene from nature.
Performed by London Philharmonic Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, Don Jackson, Josef Bulva and others.
12 tracks, Over 1 Hour of Music
1. Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847), A Midsummer Night's Dream- Nocturne
2. Edvard Grieg (1843-1907), Peer Gynt Suite- Solveig's Song
3. Hector Berlioz (1803-1869), Romeo and Juliet- Scherzo
4. Easthope Martin (1882-1925), Evensong
5. Franz Schubert (1791-1828), Rosamunde- Entr'acte No. 3
6. Felix Medelssohn, Symphony No.2 (Hymn of Praise)- Adagio Religioso
7. Hector Berlioz, Faust- Menuet of Wandering Lights
8. Franz Liszt (1811-1886), Harmonies du Soir in D flat
9. Ronald Hanmer (1917-1994), Pastorale
10. Edward Macdowell (1860-1908), To a Wild Rose
11. Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893), Eugene Onegin- Introduction
12. Eric Coates (1922-1997), By the Sleepy Lagoon